Frequently Asked Questions

Let us answer some of your questions as quickly as possible. Be sure to read more throughout this website and our student handbook so you’re well-informed and prepared for a successful educational journey.

Is there a minimum GPA requirement to apply?

Students must have a 2.0 high school GPA to apply for most programs. The Nursing Assistant program requires a 2.5 GPA.

What is the deadline to apply?

The application process opens in March for the following school year. Applications are generally approved on a first come, first serve basis, provided the student meets the requirements to apply. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all program spots are full, or the first day of the academic school year.

Do I have to take the college placement test to apply?

Most students will need to take the Accuplacer exam to be enrolled in classes, but can do this AFTER they have been accepted to the CVIT program. Students with a 3.0 GPA or higher, who have a high school transcript showing at least two years of high school grades, may be eligible to have the Accuplacer test requirement waived.

How will I know If I have been accepted into the program?

Your high school counselor or CTE director will let you know if you have been accepted to a Central Campus program. You will also receive a welcome e-mail from CVIT with your schedule and other important information.

Is there a tuition cost, registration fee, or other required fees for the central programs?

There is no tuition cost to the student. CVIT also pays all fees and books related to a student's program. The Cosmetology program does require a $250 per semester deposit, however, that is COMPLETELY refundable if the student completes the program. Please see the Programs page for details or give us a call.

Are you sure there is no cost? The EAC High School Enrollment Form says that tuition is $70 per credit.

EAC uses the same high school enrollment form for regular dual-enrollment classes and CVIT classes. You can disregard that part of that form EAC High School Enrollment Form, because CVIT pays tuition for you.

Will I receive college credit for the courses I take?

All of CVIT’s programs Central Campus Programs are for college and high school credit and lead to a certificate of proficiency and/or industry-recognized certifications.

When do I take the Central Program classes?

Students attend their high school for half the day, usually until lunch, and come to Eastern Arizona College - Gila Pueblo Campus after lunch, or in the evenings. Some programs also hold class during the day on Fridays and/or Saturdays. If you have specific scheduling concerns, please contact Ms. DeZeeuw, the Central Campus Program Counselor.

How old does an individual have to be to participate in the CVIT central program?

Our services are available to sophomore, junior, and senior students who live within CVIT communities and who are currently attending a public high school, charter school, or home school. Some programs, such as the Fire Science program, may have minimum age requirements, due to state regulations. You should also check with your high school counselor or CTE director, as some schools have different requirements to apply.

Can I continue with my CVIT program if I change high schools in the middle of the school year?

Yes, as long as you still live in within our communities.

What happens if I fail a CVIT class?

It's important to remember that CVIT students are building an EAC college transcript. Failing a class can negatively impact a student's post-secondary ambitions, now and after high-school. Some classes are also prerequisites for others, which may prevent a student from being able to move forward in a program, if they fail a class.

However, if the class is available and the student is granted instructor permission to continue in the program, CVIT will pay tuition and fees for a student to retake a failed class.

Can I continue to play sports in my high school if I participate in CVIT?

Generally, yes. You'll be excused for games; however, you will have to keep up with the work in the class. There are some programs, where there is a state required minimum number of hours for certification, where missing class is not possible.

Students interested in Cosmetology or Nursing Assistant, in particular, should discuss the time requirements with the instructor, or a school counselor, prior to applying for the program.

I'm an international student--can I apply to CVIT?

We value diversity and the unique experiences of our international students, however, some student visa types may not be eligible due to funding guidelines. However, we will work with you to determine if you are eligible to participate.

If you are eligible, you may want to discuss your individual situation with a counselor prior to applying. You want to be sure you that if you are planning to return to your home country that you will be able to complete your chosen program prior to leaving the United States.

I'm graduating at the end of this year. Are there any opportunities are there for me through CVIT?

YES! We are proud to announce that we have secured state funding for recent graduates. This is only for programs that may lead to a high demand industry in our area. For 2023-24, these programs are: Dental Assistant, HVAC-R, Medical Assistant, Nursing Assistant, and *Welding.

*Spots in our programs are limited, and in the event the number of applicants exceeds program spots, priority may be given to current high school students.

Will CVIT pay for me to earn an associate's degree?

CVIT programs are certificate programs only, not full associate's degrees. CVIT cannot pay for students to earn core class credit (English, Math, etc.), which is required to earn an associate's degree. However, Central Campus Counselor Ms. DeZeeuw can assist CVIT students with finding other creative funding sources to limit the financial burden of an associate's degree.

How do I get additional information?

Contact Aja DeZeeuw, Central Program Counselor
Cell: (480) 204-0325


CVIT Dental students in lab